Pep Guardiola says he is unaware of an Instagram story posted by Bernardo Silva in which the Manchester City midfielder says Benjamin Mendy is “completely naked” – despite being fully dressed in black.

Silva, the Portugal midfielder, has faced backlash this week after comparing a picture of Mendy as a child to the cartoon logo of Spanish confectionery company Conguitos.

Since then a separate Instagram story posted by Silva last year has resurfaced.

4:39
Pep Guardiola has once again defended Silva against claims of racial insensitivity

Pep Guardiola has once again defended Silva against claims of racial insensitivity

In the video, he says: “I’ve just seen a World Cup champion completely naked. He’s got a backpack and he might have a watch but no clothes for sure. I’ll show you in a sec.”

In the next clip Mendy appears and Silva continues: “Ben, why are you not wearing any clothes?”

The FA has written to Manchester City to seek their observations as part of an investigation into Silva’s social media activity.

Sky Sports News has been told that Silva has written a personal letter to the FA in response.

As well as saying he is unaware of the video, Guardiola continued his defence of Silva over the tweet about Mendy.

0:44
Guardiola’s defence of Silva ‘nonsense’, according to a senior academic on the sociology of race and culture

Guardiola’s defence of Silva ‘nonsense’, according to a senior academic on the sociology of race and culture

“He is absolutely not guilty because his intention was just a joke,” said City manager Guardiola ahead of Saturday’s trip to Everton, live on Sky Sports.

“It’s a cartoon and the face is quite similar. Probably the same thing happened a thousand times for white people – it’s the same. It was just a joke and that’s all.

“The people think it is the opposite and Bernardo and Manchester City are open to listening to opinions and that is all.

“But before I said to the people that judge Bernardo they don’t know him. Bernardo is an exceptional person. Make the focus on other issues not on Bernardo.

“Bernardo or anyone else in my squad, they do these things just for a joke. Benjamin Mendy is like a brother for Bernardo and he is like for Mendy the same.”

‘Silva wrote to FA over Mendy post – but could face six-match ban’

1:37
Bernardo Silva wrote to the FA personally after his tweet about Benjamin Mendy but could still face a six-match ban, says Ben Ransom

Bernardo Silva wrote to the FA personally after his tweet about Benjamin Mendy but could still face a six-match ban, says Ben Ransom

Sky Sports News reporter Ben Ransom revealed that Silva wrote to the FA personally over his tweet about Mendy.

The letter was supported by a statement issued by Mendy himself, who declared he had not taken any offence over the social media post. If the FA do find Silva guilty, he could face a six-match ban.

“Manchester City were asked by the FA for their official observations on this tweet, as part of the investigations,” Ransom said.

“They had until 5pm yesterday to respond and I’ve been told this afternoon that part of that response came from Bernardo Silva himself. A personal letter explaining his tweet.

“I understand that within his letter, he denied there was any racist intention there, but what he did do, I’m told, is express regret at any unintentional offence that had been caused by the tweet that he put out.